I just read a fantastic post about saving money in the summer at Make It Missoula and thought I’d share some of my own tried and true activities in the summer as well as tell you what’s going on with my Missoula family!
- Farmers’ Market! It’s an outing that we all enjoy and can be as inexpensive as free! We always run into friends, and my 6 year old loves the trains, the Xs, climbing the tree, and running ‘the circle.’ She’s getting her twin 20 month olds in the groove too.
- Parson’s Ponies! Seriously, this is such a great deal, and if you have a horse lover like I do, it’s like required or something. They’re often out and about town including the Sunday market.
- The Best Backyard in Missoula! My friends have spoken, and I win. We’re always out playing and enjoying the garden. One of the twins was picking dandelion heads for about a 1/2 hour yesterday while her sister napped, her big sister played, her dad mowed, and I gardened. We also like to have friends over for chillin’ n grillin’.
- Splash Decks! They’re free. They’re fun. They’re wet. And they’re in Missoula. Need I say more?
- Hiking! Even at my advanced pregnant stage, there are hikes I can do. And there are hikes your little ones can do. My favorite hike is Waterworks (especially when I’m pregnant, out of shape, and/or wearing a kid). We also like to hike on Blue Mountain because it’s dog friendly and can take as long or as short as necessary.
Our summer projects & plans:
- Home and yard ‘tweaking’ projects like widening the walkway between the house and the garden in back, pulling out the stove (placement is horrid & it’s not safe for our young family anyway) and replacing it with french doors to the back deck, updating the front porch with railing (done!), new paint (umm…), & new shrubs (instead of the hideous arborvitae blockade)
- Baby cookin’ and birthin’ – homestyle version at the end of June or beginning of July
- Recital planning – I’m giving a joint recital in the early Fall, so I should try to get that planned before #4 arrives
- Family – Dad is coming for Memorial Day; MIL is coming in June; Mom is coming in July; who knows who’ll show up in August
- August weddings!
- August baptism for the newborn & the twins!
- Perhaps a couple of summer camps for the 6 year old – MCT, Clark Fork, & PEAS are high on our list!