I just read a fantastic post about saving money in the summer at Make It Missoula and thought I’d share some of my own tried and true activities in the summer as well as tell you what’s going on with my Missoula family!
- Farmers’ Market! It’s an outing that we all enjoy and can be as inexpensive as free! We always run into friends, and my 6 year old loves the trains, the Xs, climbing the tree, and running ‘the circle.’ She’s getting her twin 20 month olds in the groove too.
- Parson’s Ponies! Seriously, this is such a great deal, and if you have a horse lover like I do, it’s like required or something. They’re often out and about town including the Sunday market.
- The Best Backyard in Missoula! My friends have spoken, and I win. We’re always out playing and enjoying the garden. One of the twins was picking dandelion heads for about a 1/2 hour yesterday while her sister napped, her big sister played, her dad mowed, and I gardened. We also like to have friends over for chillin’ n grillin’.
- Splash Decks! They’re free. They’re fun. They’re wet. And they’re in Missoula. Need I say more?
- Hiking! Even at my advanced pregnant stage, there are hikes I can do. And there are hikes your little ones can do. My favorite hike is Waterworks (especially when I’m pregnant, out of shape, and/or wearing a kid). We also like to hike on Blue Mountain because it’s dog friendly and can take as long or as short as necessary.
Our summer projects & plans:
- Home and yard ‘tweaking’ projects like widening the walkway between the house and the garden in back, pulling out the stove (placement is horrid & it’s not safe for our young family anyway) and replacing it with french doors to the back deck, updating the front porch with railing (done!), new paint (umm…), & new shrubs (instead of the hideous arborvitae blockade)
- Baby cookin’ and birthin’ – homestyle version at the end of June or beginning of July
- Recital planning – I’m giving a joint recital in the early Fall, so I should try to get that planned before #4 arrives
- Family – Dad is coming for Memorial Day; MIL is coming in June; Mom is coming in July; who knows who’ll show up in August
- August weddings!
- August baptism for the newborn & the twins!
- Perhaps a couple of summer camps for the 6 year old – MCT, Clark Fork, & PEAS are high on our list!
Filed under Family, Missoula
Hardly a week goes by when I don’t think of Bresnan Communications with contempt. I have been angry with that company for a year-and-a-half. This is my story.
In the summer of 2006 we decided to switch from flaky satellite service to more reliable cable service. It wasn’t about the TV. It wasn’t about the cost. It was about having a reliable digital broadband. It was going to cost us more money, but we were ok with that. Bresnan is the only game in town for cable digital service, so we signed up. They sent out a newbie to install the service. He didn’t really know what he was doing, and it took him for EVER. I wasn’t pressed for time that day, so it didn’t bother me too much. Eventually, he hit the wall and called in his supervisor. They spent some time out in the backyard, and then the boss man took off, and the newbie was on his own again.
Ahhhh a reliable signal. Wunderbar!
And then I looked outside at what these idiots had done . . .
Instead of burying the cable line, they ran a cable about 12-15 feet above the ground diagonally across our entire backyard to connect to a nearby pole (not even the closest pole to our cable box). I called and complained. They scheduled me for an appointment to fix the problem.
They didn’t keep the appointment.
They NEVER keep the appointment.
A year and a half later, we still have that fucking wire draped across our yard. It’s dangerous – the wire does get hit by balls because it’s so low and covers the entire length of our yard. And now that we have a hot tub, the wire is even more dangerous. It doesn’t matter how much we complain, no one seems to be responsible because Bresnan subs out these jobs. So, it’s the sub’s fault that Bresnan refused to provide customer service? It’s the sub’s fault that a dangerous wire hangs above my yard? It’s the sub’s fault that the installer didn’t just use the buried wire that was already there to hook into the cable?
I’m about to chop that fucking wire down and strangle the next Bresnan employee that dares to knock on my door and ask if I’m happy with my service. Anyone have an alternative suggestion?
Update: Eventually Bresnan did correct the problem. Someone stopped to inquire about it, and he fixed it the same day instead of making me wait yet again for an appointment. I really appreciated his thorough attention to our problem!